A tree may need pruning for a variety of reasons:
- to remove diseased or storm-damaged branches
- to thin the crown to permit new growth and better air circulation
- to reduce the height of a tree
- to remove obstructing lower branches
- to shape a tree for design purposes
Once the decision has been made to prune, your next decision is whether or not to tackle the job yourself. In the case of a large tree where you want to remove big branches in the upper area of the crown, it may be best to hire experts. Large tree pruning, in particular, can require climbing, heavy saws or cherry-pickers.